Monday, June 29, 2009

An Introduction to Optoelectronics

Today (Wednesday), I spent reading more papers and also through a section of textbook on semiconductor physics. The two articles that I spent the most time reading were that same one from the Japanese group and also one entitled "Near-field THz imaging with dynamic aperture", which is from a group at RPI. In the Japanese article, I looked mainly at characteristics of the two beams and specific experimental design. The other article was mainly about introducing near-field to the THz regime and how this method vastly increases the microscope's spatial resolution, etc.

I also began reading through a textbook entitled "Optoelectronics: An Introduction". I read mainly over the section devoted to elements of solid state physics. Some of this was review (de Broglie wavelength, finite well, uncertainty principle, n-type and p-type semiconductors, etc), and that was very helpful in refreshing my memory of certain concepts. Also, it was interesting to learn new things such as: excitons, intrinsic materials, recombination, and others. I hope to maybe read some more of this section and then maybe also start on another more specific semiconductor text.

No comments:

Post a Comment